CITY OF CHARLESTON CELEBRATES PARKS AND RECREATION MONTH
The City of Charleston is celebrating National Parks & Recreation Month, an initiative of the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), by inviting folks to participate in a variety of events this July. The City of Charleston’s Parks and Recreation Department will offer free activities in each of its community centers.
“Summer is a great time to celebrate our parks and recreation facilities,” said Mayor Amy Shuler Goodwin. “Our community centers, parks and playgrounds are free and open to the public year-round. I encourage folks to take advantage of these free programs and explore our facilities and program offerings.”
"We are so excited to have the opportunity to showcase some of the programs that we have to offer at each of our facilities by having a designated Parks and Recreation Month,” said Rashaun Sayles, Director of Parks & Recreation. “I hope to see as many people as possible in the community to come out and enjoy this month of activities and recreation!"
Activities will include:
- Pool Party at the Kanawha City Community Center (3511 Venable Ave., 304-348-6484)
- Saturday, July 13 from noon – 6:00 p.m.
- Pickleball with Mayor Amy Shuler Goodwin at the North Charleston Community Center (2009 7th Ave., 304-348-6884)
- Wednesday, July 17 from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Open Art Studio at the Roosevelt Neighborhood Center (502 Ruffner Ave., 304-348-0529)
- Wednesday, July 24 at 5:30 p.m.
- Teen Hoop Night with WVSU Basketball players at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center (314 Donnally St., 304-348-6404)
- Wednesday, July 24 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Adult Swim at Cato Park (200 Baker Ln., 304-348-6860)
- Saturday, July 27 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
All events are free and open to the public. Open art studio is limited to the first 25 people – please call 304-348-0529 to register. For more information, please visit getactivecwv.com.