City Attorney

Kevin Baker, City Attorney
501 Virginia Street East 
Charleston, WV 25301 
P: (304) 348-8032 
F: (304) 348-0770


Hours of operation:
Monday thru Friday: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Closed Saturday and Sunday

David Potters, Assistant City Attorney
Jason Neal, Assistant City Attorney
Kim Holder, Legal Assistant
Tiffany Redman, Senior Staff Associate

The Charleston City Attorney's Office strives to serve the City of Charleston by dispensing legal advice to the Mayor, City Council and various City departments and the representation of the City in court actions; to represent the City as a municipal corporation in development transactions and operational matters, as well as being responsible for certain filings and revivals of liens and the drafting or approval of proposed ordinances, resolutions, deeds, leases, contracts, legal pleadings and briefs.

The City Attorney's Office has three primary roles:

Litigation - The City Attorney's Office is responsible for the defense of the City, its officers and employees against all claims, actions, suits, prosecutions and other proceedings brought against them. The Office is also responsible for bringing legal actions on behalf of the City of Charleston.

Business and Regulations - The City Attorney's Office functions in the traditional general counsel role offering opinions, reviewing contracts and proposed legislation as to form and advising the various departments of city government as requested by those departments.

Prosecution - The City Attorney's Office is the prosecuting agency of the Municipal Court. The Office shall prosecute all cases brought before such court.

Frequently Asked Questions of the City Attorney:

How do I file a criminal complaint as the victim of a crime?

If you wish to file a criminal complaint, you must appear in person to the Charleston Police Department Records Division, which is located on the Court Street side of City Hall. Their hours of operation are 9 am to 4 pm, Monday thru Friday.

I think I have been scammed. How do I report it?

If you feel you have been the victim of a scam or any unlawful practices in the purchase of goods and services, you should contact the the West Virginia Attorney's Office. The Consumer Hotline can be reached via telephone at (800) 368-8808 or you may visit their Web site,

How do I acquire a lawyer to represent me?

If you are charged with a criminal offense and are unable to afford an attorney, you may be eligible for representation through the Kanawha County Public Defender's Office. They may be contacted by calling (304) 348-2323.

If you need an attorney for a civil matter other than personal injury, worker's compensation or property disputes and are unable to afford one, you should contact the Legal Aid Society by calling (800) 642-8279 or visiting their Web site at

The West Virginia Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Services is another resource and can be reached by calling (866) 989-8227 or you may send a request online by visiting