Emergency Info

Please Note

This information is presented by the Kanawha Putnam Emergency Planning Committee (KPEPC) and is supplied by Verizon as a public service. Verizon and KPEPC assume no liability and will not be responsible for any injury which is the consequence of any action (or inaction) undertaken by any person which is in any way related to the information in the ?Know What To Do In Case Of An Emergency? Guide.

Be Prepared

It may be some time before emergency responders can reach you and provide assistance, depending on the type and scale of the emergency. You can be better prepared by doing the following:

  • Prepare an emergency kit. It should include first aid supplies, flashlight, duct tape for sealing cracks, battery operated radio, spare batteries, candles, matches, blankets, extra clothing, prescription medicine, bottled water, ready-to-eat food, pet food and other necessary items. Check the kit every six months to make sure the contents are still there and are fresh.
  • Learn CPR and first aid.
  • Select a place where family members can meet if they become separated during an emergency.
  • Special Assistance for the Disabled - Don?t Wait For an Emergency!
    Disabled persons who may need special assistance during emergencies, especially in an evacuation, should notify their local fire department of their problems and needs along with their home address and telephone number. In the event of an emergency, the needed assistance can then be provided. See the Government Pages or the Business White Pages for the telephone number of your local Fire Department.

Medical, Fire, Law Enforcement Help

For any type of emergency, medical, firefighting, and/or law enforcement help, call 9-1-1. Give your name, address, including community and zip code, and the nature of the emergency. Stay on the line until told you may hang up. Stay calm and answer as clearly as possible any questions asked.

Notification of An Emergency

If there is an emergency you may be given warning in one or more ways in Kanawha and/or Putnam Counties and you will be told how to protect yourself. Warning sirens are located in many of the urban areas of both counties. A steady high-pitched tone of the siren for three minutes repeated several times means that you should turn on the radio or television to a local station for information on what to do. Emergency information will be broadcast on the Emergency Alert System (EAS), which is broadcast by the radio and television stations below.

EAS Stations

Radio Station Channel
WVAF 99.9 FM
WKWS 96.1 FM
WQBE 950 AM or 97.5 FM
WVSR 102.7 FM
WSCW 1410 AM
WKAZ 107.3 FM
TV Station Channel
WSAZ Channel 3
WCHS Channel 8
WOWK Channel 13
WVAH Channel 11

Emergency Notification

Stay calm. Stay off the telephone including cell phones, unless you have a medical emergency. The lines may be needed for official business. Your call could keep other people from getting emergency help. Turn on your radio or television to an EAS station for information and directions, locate your emergency kit, and review your emergency plan.

Protective Actions:

If you are told to Shelter-in-Place, do the following:

  • Go inside your home, school, public building, store, or office building. Go to a room with no or few windows. Bring pets inside.
  • Stay calm. Stay off the telephone including cell phones, unless you have a medical emergency.
  • Turn on a radio or television to a local EAS station for information and direction.
  • Stay tuned to the station until the emergency is over, or until you are given instructions to leave.

In certain cases, evacuation is one way to protect yourself. If you are told to evacuate, take the following actions:

  • Leave immediately. Otherwise, emergency personnel may be unable to reach you later.
  • Stay calm. Stay off the telephone including cell phones, unless you have a medical emergency.
  • Listen to a radio or television tuned to a local EAS station.
  • If possible, turn off natural gas before leaving to prevent fires.
  • Take the necessary clothing, medicine, portable radio, flashlight and other necessary items.
  • Lock the building that is being left. The area(s) evacuated will be secured by law enforcement personnel.
  • Do not attempt to go to schools or other places where another family member may be. Other members may be sheltered or evacuated as part of a facility?s emergency response plan.
  • Turn on your porch light as you leave your house or other building to let people know that structure is empty.
  • If you do not have your own transportation, listen to the EAS station for information about public transportation.
  • Turn the vehicle radio to an EAS station for further instructions.
  • When the emergency is over, you will be allowed to go back to your home or other location from which you were evacuated. If you came by public transportation, you will be returned by public transportation.
  • If the emergency involved an airborne toxic chemical leak, upon returning to your home or other location, ventilate the structure before remaining inside.

Your family emergency plan should include your pets. Different emergencies require different responses. But whether the emergency is a chemical leak or a winter storm, you may have to evacuate your home. The best way to protect your pets is to evacuate them too.

  • Plan to take your pets to a friend?s or relative?s home or to a hotel that accepts pets during an emergency. Pets are not permitted in Red Cross emergency shelters.
  • Transport pets in sturdy carriers.
  • Have identification, collar, leash, and proof of vaccinations for all pets.
  • Have food and water for your pets.
  • Have a current photo of your pets in case they get lost.

For More Information

You can get additional information about emergencies from the following organizations:

Kanawha Putnam Emergency Planning Committee
(304) 414-3600

American Red Cross ? Central West Virginia Chapter
(304) 340-3650

Kanawha County Office of Emergency Services
(304) 746-8201

Putnam County Office of Emergency Services
(304) 586-0246

Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)