Dan Vriendt, Director
915 Quarrier Street, Suite 1
Charleston, WV 25301
P: (304) 348-8105
F: (304) 348-8042
Hours of operation:
Monday thru Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Closed Saturday and Sunday
Envisioning a healthy economy, a lively downtown, prosperous business centers and strong neighborhoods
where citizens have a variety of lifestyle options and access to the resources they need
It is the mission of the City of Charleston’s Planning Department to steward Charleston’s Comprehensive Plan by creating and enforcing balanced development codes, engaging in economic and community development initiatives, and applying sustainable planning practices. In doing so, we manage day-to-day planning and zoning functions, including:
· review site plans and issue zoning permits
· coordinate subdivision applications
· make floodplain determinations and issue permits
· conduct compliance reviews for business license applications, including home-based businesses and ABCC licenses
· maintain the official Zoning Map and perform other mapping projects
· provide technical support and assistance for other City departments and regional agencies
· enforce the Zoning Ordinance
· respond to citizen inquiries
We also work with other City Departments, private developers, the Charleston Urban Renewal Authority, social service agencies, and economic and community development organizations to implement Imagine Charleston, the City’s comprehensive plan.
We maintain a proactive neighborhood planning program by participating in community planning and development efforts and supporting local neighborhood associations, business coalitions and Main Street programs.
And finally, we provide staff support and guidance for the Municipal Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Charleston Historic Landmarks Commission, Strong Neighborhoods Task Force, Planning Committee of City Council, and Urban Renewal Committee of City Council.
Lori Brannon - Neighborhood Planner - email@example.com
John Butterworth - Neighborhood Planner - firstname.lastname@example.org
Cathy Peal - Zoning Administrator - email@example.com
Brandie Thomas - Zoning Administrator - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mark Snuffer - Plan Review/Flood Plain - email@example.com
Debbie Bsharah - Jr. Zoning Administrator - firstname.lastname@example.org