Gallery 64 | Randolph Street & I-64 Bridge, Downtown Charleston
REQUEST FOR PARTICIPATION IN PUBLIC ART PROJECT
Randolph Street & I-64 Bridge, Downtown Charleston
Charleston City Council’s Strong Neighborhoods Task Force (SNTF) is requesting proposals and qualifications from artists for the design and implementation of a series of public art murals.
Gallery 64 is a continuation of the project formerly known as the Peer to Pier Public Art Project. During the summer of 2017, murals will be applied to the 6 interstate support piers on north side of Randolph Street.
Part of the ongoing revitalization and beautification of the City of Charleston through the arts, the goal of this project continues to be the enhancement of the connection between the West Side and the downtown. The project should achieve the following goals:
• improve the overall aesthetic look of Randolph Street and Pennsylvania Avenue
• improve the pedestrian linkage between the West Side and the City center
• generate and continue interest in and awareness of public art in the City of Charleston
Past projects required that proposals address a specific theme, usually relating to the history of the City of Charleston. This year the SNTF will forego that approach, opting instead to leave the call for proposals open-ended and to encourage inspiring works of art that stem from each artist’s individualized approach to the site.
The SNTF will select 6 artists for the project; each artist will paint one pier. Artists who have participated in previous phases of the Peer to Pier public art initiative may apply. However, proposals submitted by artists who have not yet painted a pier may be given preference.
The SNTF asks that all details regarding the project remain confidential until an announcement is made to the public. A formal press release will be distributed once the artists have been chosen for the project. Response to this RFP/RFQ signifies confidentiality between the organizers and the artists involved in this process.
Support piers on the north side of Randolph Street between Pennsylvania Avenue South and Pennsylvania Avenue North beneath I-64.
• Murals must wrap entirely around each pier between 2 and 12 feet off the ground.
• Piers measure 12’9” in circumference.
• The City of Charleston will provide scaffolding.
• Sufficient work space exists between the road and the piers on the north side of Randolph Street. No lane closures are planned for Randolph Street. However, the sidewalk will be closed to pedestrians for the duration of the project.
Artists will receive $2,000 per interstate pier. It is the artists’ responsibility to supply their own paints and other materials. Selected artists will receive 25% of funds upon signing a contract with the City of Charleston; the remaining 75% will be paid when the work is completed and necessary information is provided.
Once the murals are completed, an anti-graffiti clear-coat must be applied. This clear-coat product will be supplied to the artist by the City of Charleston; the artist will be responsible for its application. Scaffolding will also be provided by the City of Charleston.
Proposals will be accepted until May 12, 2017. A selection committee consisting of members of the SNTF and project funders will consider proposals and notify selected artists by June 9, 2017. The SNTF will meet with the selected artists to discuss revisions, contracts and the overall breadth of the project. The installation of the project may begin in July 1, 2017 and be completed by September 30, 2017. (This time frame is estimated and may be subject to minor adjustments at the request of the WV Department of Transportation, Division of Highways.)
The request is for pro bono conceptual development and submission of proposals. Artists are not required to submit a fully rendered image of the artwork to be applied to the pier; however, the concept must be developed enough to provide the selection committee with a clear understanding of the nature and content of the mural being proposed.
In addition to the proposed concept, artists must submit the following information:
A cover sheet including contact information
A brief written description of the proposed concept (to be used in printed materials and social media)
Relevant qualifications concerning past experience with public art projects
Examples of previously completed large-scale works
Additional imagery, drawings, and sketches are acceptable, but please limit your application to ten pages.
Incomplete and/or late proposals will not be considered. Proposals including a commercial message, product, trademark, trade name, logo or otherwise advertising a product, service, or business will not be considered. Proposals containing obscene images or wording will not be considered.
Proposals may be sent to:
City of Charleston Planning Department
Attn: Lori Armstead Brannon
915 Quarrier Street, Suite 1
Charleston, WV 25301
Or e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org